The Vascular Access Board Certification (VA-BC™) is designed for clinical professionals to include but not limited to; MDs, PAs, NPs, RNs, LPN/LVNs, RTs, RRTs, Infection Control, Educators, EMS professionals, that actively work in the field of vascular access. Having a thorough and sound foundation of the knowledge and skills required for competent practice in vascular access is essential. Knowledge can be obtained through work experiences and independent learning, as well as through formal educational programs. These components afford the candidate exposure and professional development and education in the vascular access specialty.
VA-BC™ Eligibility Requirements:
All Candidates must:
- Have a minimum of a post-secondary education (eg: LPN, nursing diploma, associates, bachelors)
- Have a minimum of 1 year of professional experience. Practice in the area of vascular access is required for initial certification.
- Attest they meet one of the following criteria
- Health Care Professional in the field of Vascular Access involved in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the care and needs of patients and clients who require vascular access in the course of their care.
- Professional working in a field that complements Vascular Access, such as Educators, Administrators, Infection Control Professionals, Nutrition Support Professionals.
In addition, current clinical practice must include at least two (2) of the following activities:
- Assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the care and needs of patients and clients who require vascular access in the course of their care;
- Education of individuals in best practice as it pertains to vascular access;
- Development and revision of vascular access policies and procedures;
- Management of vascular access activities;
- Provision of consultation of vascular access activities.
Self-employed individuals must meet the same practice criteria as above.
Note-This certification is NOT intended for sales, marketing, or other non-clinical industry professionals, and all candidates must legally attest that they meet practice requirements, which is subject to verification by the staff of the Vascular Access Certification Corporation. For industry professionals interested in furthering their knowledge of Vascular Access, please review the Vascular Access Industry Partner™ Program